The fall semester is quickly approaching. I feel as though July was only two weeks long instead of four; I hardly finished the things I had set out to do that month. Let’s see how I did last month (spoiler alert: terrible).
Goals for July
- Post 3 times per week. Um, not even close. I applied for more than 20 jobs last month; I underestimated how much time that would take. Blogging was unintentionally slid off to the side of my priorities list.
- Submit adjunct applications for all local community colleges. Sort of. I did not get through all the community colleges, because sometimes it is very hard to find out who the contact person is. I did, however, send out emails inquiring about positions at many four-year Universities in my area. I would say that I was successful in this, because I reached out to more colleges than I had originally planned.
- Promote my tutoring service. I sort of promoted myself. I did reach out to writing centers in the area, but I did not make a concentrated effort to gain new, private students.
- Propose two conference papers. Nope. I did one, and I have an idea for another one. As usual, I overestimated myself.
- Submit two abstracts for publication. They are in the final editing stages, but are not ready to submit.
Geez, I guess what we’re learning here is that I’m really good at making goals that are too big to be completed all in the same month. Still, I’m going to put a positive spin on this: I have made progress. Beyond applying to community colleges, I have expanded my job search and made an effort to land full-time employment. I have had a positive brainstorming session with my mentor, and have more ideas about publishable articles than before. I am strengthening myself as a teacher and scholar.
I am going to make my goals for this month a little more manageable, but still difficult enough that I need to struggle to reach them.
Goals for August
- Blog twice per week.
- Reach Alexa ranking of 900,000 (at present: 1,101,088).
- Finish revising my paper for publication and submit it.
- Propose a chapter for an upcoming book.
- Gain one new tutoring student.
- Create one new class to teach to high school students, to start in September.
My goals last month weren’t exactly SMART goals (Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Relevant, Time-bound). I have decided to make this month’s goals more easily attained by adhering to the SMART system.
What are your goals this month? Do you think I’ll be more successful in August?